Now it's easier to simulate sea waves in FlowVision!
You may set complex boundary conditions for the formation of natural gravitational waves using the formula editor. But these formulas are quite complex. Therefore, we used the computational engineering platform API and connected this module to FlowVision, so it became convinient to create user boundary conditions which generate waves.
For FlowVision 3.12.01 release we made a breakthrough in the development of processes in dispersed phases. As a result, it became possible to simulate the icing of surface. Today you can apply the both icing modes to your tasks - dry icing mode and wet one. What is the difference between these modes? How to simulate icing processes correctly? What results will be obtained in FlowVision? You will find all answers in this article.
A set of sensors is a measuring object which can be placed anywhere in the calculation domain.
Previously, to obtain a variable at a certain point of computational domain, it was necessary to create a small object with dimentions closed to the cell size and set a characteristic on this object. It became much more convenient with the help of sensors. You can simply select a point or even several points in space, create there the sensor set and receive data in one glo-file.
You have started a simulation of physical processes in Flow Vision by yourself, but the calculation always breaks down. Or the calculation runs, but the results do not correspond to physics. Is it familiar to you? Here is the quintessence of the experience from technical support and the training department staff. It`s a guide on what to do if your calculation breaks down.
To obtain the exact solution in numerical simulation, the reference values should be set correctly. Find out from this article how to set the reference values and how they affect the accuracy of the solution. We also examined two cases that our users usually face. Forewarned is forearmed.
Today we will talk about minimization of the computational mesh in a two-dimensional calculation. In general, FlowVision is a three-dimensional CFD software. But the 3D calculation becomes 2D if there is only one calculation cell in one direction. Unfortunately, two-dimensionality disappears when adaptation is enabled. User of FlowVision from JIHT figured out this issue.
Sometimes the situations appear, when the co-simulation may be interrupted for a number of reasons:
1. Lack of memory (both operational and physical);
2. Restarting the machine on which the calculation has been carried out.
3. The necessity to stop the calculation for project modification.
If the simulation is carried out only in FlowVision, the problem is easily solved by continuing the simulation from the last save. In the case of a joint simulation, the procedure is more complicated.
FlowVision uses floating type of license. It means:
- The license is installed and attached to one computer and can’t be transferred or registered on another computer;
- But users can work with FlowVision on any computer and they can even constantly change their working computer. FlowVision will request a license from the computer on which the license was registered.
- On one computer it’s possible to register many licenses for different users. It allows to avoid blocking license, for example, of the user of neighboring department.
- You can also register one general license, for example, with a large number of cores and allow users to compete for licenses :) This allows you to run the calculation on the maximum number of cores if necessary.
Thus it is convenient for a company to allocate a server for registering and storing a license instead of, for example, a laptop.
This article will be useful for the beginners who want to learn more about the turbulent flow and pitfalls encountered during its modeling. We'll go through:
FlowVision 3.11.01 obtained a new connector for linking to Abaqus. The new connector calls Abaqus CSE. This connector expands possibilities of direct coupling connector and has following advantages:
- More flex settings of co-simulation;
- Easier launching at cluster machines;
- Introducing of additional programs into co-simulation;
- Interaction with newest version of SIMULIA Abaqus.
Such advantages are realizing by Abaqus module: Abaqus CSE Director. But such approach has his own disadvantages:
- Abaqus CSE Director requires configuration file for his work;
- Complex launching of Abaqus which is not supporting by MPM-Agent of current FV version.
The problem of file generation was resolved. FlowVision creating file by user request. As input data FlowVision use Abaqus project which needed for connector creating.
Analysis launching by MPM-Agent has problems with commands which are transferring to Abaqus: are separated launching of Abaqus CSE Director and separated launching of project.
Script was created for resolving this problem and making launching of Abaqus more simple. This script taking data from FlowVision project and allows launching both type of connectors: Direct coupling and Co-simulation Engine.
Script as for Windows OS, as for Linux OS is attached to this paper for using.
There are many improvements in new version of FlowVision 31001. They significantly concern to functionality of adjusting and editing of computational grid such as computational grid adaptation, parameters of boundary layer grid etc. The list of main changes in comparison with FlowVision 31001:
- All adaptations and boundary layer grid are specified now in separate section of project tree named “computational grid”
- In project tree active adaptations and boundary layer grid are highlighted by color while inactive adaptations are grey-colored
- Subregions and geometrical objects in PreProcessor with the same settings of computational grid can be grouped to single subsection of project tree. It is not necessary to repeat this settings separately for each item anymore.
- It is possible to adjust number of layers for intermediate adaptation levels (not only for maximal adaptation level as in previous version). It is not necessary to create such grid during several number of solution steps
- New function is “adaptation by condition” which allow to make split of cells according to specified condition (range of values for variables)
These and other most meaningful features are described below.